Company Name: Damion Mower Photography
Interview with: Damion Mower
Location / Coverage: Buckinghamshire and South East England
How did your business get started and who works at Damion Mower Photography?
I started my business several years ago with a passion to capture elegant and unique wedding photography. I initially committed to training and developing my understanding of both the creative and technical side of photography, as well as understanding how to run a photography business. During this period I also spent a lot of time working as a second photographer, honing my skill and developing my style.
I still invest in training and regularly attend workshops and conferences with the best talent across the industry. It broadens my mind and improves my technique, meaning I can deliver above and beyond for my clients.
I typically work with a second photographer who is a professional in their own right.
Had you always wanted to be a photographer?
I started my career in marketing, working with creative agencies building advertising campaigns for some well known brands. I loved it but needed an outlet for my own creativity. Having always had a passion for photography and being an enormous fan of how imagery can evoke emotions, wedding photography was my natural next step.
Can you remember how old you were when you took your first picture? What was it of?
No, but I remember my dad lending me his Olympus and me dropping it, returning it with a cracked lens. I’m a little more careful with my kit.
Describe your photography studio
I share a studio with two other very talented photographers. It’s a place we train other photographers and develop our own skills.
What do you feel sets Damion Mower Photography apart from other wedding photographers?
I like to think my imagery is elegant, natural and unique, with a style that has warmth and character.
I pride myself on giving phenomenal customer service, making sure my clients love the photographic experience and have a completely stress-free journey with me.
What packages do you offer and what are your rates?
I offer two packages:
- Collection One is £1,899 and includes a full day coverage and a beautiful Queensberry album. This comes with digital images, a private gallery, slide show and wedding day planning and consultations.
- Collection Two is £1,650 and includes eight hours coverage. This comes with digital images, a private gallery, slide show and wedding day planning and consultations.
What is the best thing about your job?
Without doubt the people and the moments you share with them. It’s always such a highly charged, emotional day, with so many memories recalled and indeed made. It’s a real pleasure to be part of such a happy time in a couple’s life.
Who/what are your influences?
I love the work of Adam Johnson, Fer Juristi and Kirsten Lewis.
Do you have a favourite picture that you have taken (If you can choose!)?
I love this image – it was a recent shoot and very cold. The bride wanted to be dropped off around the corner from the venue so she could gather herself with her bridesmaids. They just all looked so natural and happy as they walked to the venue.
What’s your top tip for choosing a wedding photographer?
I have three tips:
- Love the style of your photographer – your images will reflect this style
- Look at entire weddings from this photographer, not just their highlights reel or portfolio favourites. Get a feel for how they capture the entire day
- Like the personality of your photographer. You’re going to spend a lot of time with them on a very important day in your life, so you’ve got to get along.
Random question… What’s your favourite curry?
Ha! My wife tells me I spend 15 minutes studying every menu in every curry house we go to and then have the exact same thing – Chicken Tikka Masala and Peshwari Naan bread!
What’s a typical day like for Damion Mower Photography?
I seem to be in a perpetual tightrope balance between:
- Building the business by reaching out and updating connections, working on blogs and SEO
- Editing furiously
- Designing albums
- Responding to client requests
- Planning and consultations on this year’s weddings
Where can people find out more about Damion Mower Photography?
- Website: damionmowerphotography.co.uk
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/damionmowerphotography
- Instagram: www.instagram.com/damionmowerphotography
- The Wedding Community: www.theweddingcommunity.com/14154/Suppliers/Damion-Mower-Photography